First Alert, fire departments work to educate the public about replacing expiring CO alarms

This year marks the seventh anniversary of Maryland’s carbon monoxide (CO) alarm law (Maryland House Bill 401) which requires the installation of CO alarms in many newly constructed buildings, including one- and two-family units, multi-family units, hotels, motels and dormitories. Since then, the Old Line State has led the country in protecting its residents from the dangers of this invisible, odorless and potentially fatal gas, with dozens of other states following suit.

 

Fast-forward seven years from groundbreaking legislation, though, and health and safety officials have a growing new concern: the need to replace CO alarms as they approach expiration.

 

“Thanks to efforts of Maryland legislators, many potential CO-related injuries or deaths have been prevented,” said Deborah Hanson, director of external affairs for First Alert, a leader in residential fire and CO detection devices. “But installing CO alarms is only half of the story – conducting ongoing alarm maintenance, including replacing expired alarms, is necessary to maintain a home’s level of protection.”

 

While alarm lifespans may vary by model and manufacturer, a properly maintained CO alarm installed when Maryland’s law was enacted likely has a lifespan of approximately five to seven years, according to Hanson. Therefore, alarms installed when the law first came into effect are likely now due for replacement. As an extra safety measure, end-of-life warnings are built into most CO alarms to alert residents to the need for replacement.

 

“If you can’t think of the last time you installed a smoke or CO alarm, chances are, it’s time to replace your old ones,” Hanson said. “Installing new alarms ensures a person is protected with the most advanced CO sensing technologies and latest safety features available. Conversely, by neglecting to replace alarms, you could be putting yourself, your family or tenants in serious risk.”

 

While legislation exists in Maryland, statistics show that many Americans either do not have enough CO alarms in their homes or have never installed an alarm. A national survey* revealed that 90 percent of homes do not meet the recommendation for number of carbon monoxide detectors, including 40 percent that report having zero working carbon monoxide detectors.

 

The last few years have seen significant advancements in technology, extending the lifespans of CO alarms to at least seven years. Improvements in style also have resulted in decorator-friendly models that blend high tech with high design.

 

Known as the “silent killer,” CO is a colorless and odorless gas that is impossible to detect without a sensing device. According to the Journal of the American Medical Association, CO poisoning is the number one cause of accidental poisoning in the United States and is responsible for an average of 450 deaths each year. Heaters, fireplaces, furnaces, appliances and cooking sources using coal, wood, or petroleum products are all potential sources of CO.

 

CO poisoning can cause symptoms such as nausea, headaches, dizziness, chest pain and vomiting that mimic those of many other illnesses, making it difficult to diagnose. In severe poisoning cases, victims can experience disorientation, unconsciousness, long-term neurological disabilities, cardio respiratory failure or death.

 

In addition to replacing CO alarms as they reach expiration, Hanson recommends the following tips and tools for keeping your family safer from CO:

 

  • Run kitchen vents or exhaust fans anytime the stove is in use. The kitchen stove is among the most frequent sources of CO poisoning in the home. To help eliminate danger of overexposure, always run exhaust fans when cooking, especially during the holidays when stoves are left on for longer periods of time. Also open a nearby window periodically when cooking to allow fresh air to circulate.

 

  • Never use generators indoors. In the case of a power outage, portable electric generators must be used outside only. Never use them inside the home, in a garage or in any confined area that can allow CO to collect. And, be careful to follow operating instructions closely. Also refrain from using charcoal grills, camp stoves and other similar devices indoors.
  • Have fuel-burning appliances inspected regularly. Arrange for a professional inspection of all fuel-burning appliances (such as furnaces, stoves, fireplaces, clothes dryers, water heaters and space heaters) annually to detect any CO leaks.

 

  • Test CO alarms. CO alarms are the only way to detect this poisonous gas, yet nearly one-half of Americans report not having CO alarms in their homes1.  For as little as $20, a First Alert CO alarm can help protect a family from potential tragedy. Install alarms on every level of the home and near each sleeping area for maximum protection. Test alarm function monthly and change batteries, as applicable, every six months.

 

  • Be mindful of the garage. Running vehicles inside an attached garage, even if the door is open, is hazardous, as CO can leak into the home.
  • Know the number. Call 911 and leave the home immediately if the CO alarm sounds.

 

Additional CO Alarm Guidelines

 

  • Clear CO alarms of all dust and debris.
  • Ensure that alarms are plugged all the way into the outlet or, if battery operated, have working batteries installed. Check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall.

 

  • Make certain each person can hear the CO alarm sound from his or her sleeping room and that the sound is loud enough to wake everyone. If young children are in the house, consider an alarm with voice technology from First Alert. Studies have shown that children ages six to 10 wake more easily to a voice than to the traditional audible beep of an alarm.

 

  • Make sure the alarms are installed at least 15 feet away from sources of CO to reduce the occurrence of nuisance alarms.

 

For more information on home safety products from First Alert, visit www.firstalert.com. More information about House Bill 401 can be found on the Maryland General Assembly website at: http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmmain.aspx?ys=2007rs/billfile/hb0401.htm

You are encouraged to leave relevant comments but engaging in personal attacks, threats, online bullying or commercial spam will not be allowed. All comments should remain within the bounds of fair play and civility. (You can disagree with others courteously, without being disagreeable.) Feel free to express yourself but keep an open mind toward finding value in what others say. To report abuse or spam, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box.

Facebook Comment